Types of Federal Assistance

Grants and Student Loans

All grants and student loans are awarded according to the rules and regulations of the Department of Education. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the initial application. The student must have a complete financial aid file for awarding any and all grants and student loans. The amount awarded is governed by the terms of each grant/student loan and the qualifications of the individual student.

Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federally funded program based upon financial need. The grant is available only to undergraduate students who have not already received a bachelor’s degree.

Direct Student Loans

Federal Direct Student Loans low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student’s education after high school. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education. All student loans will be processed through the Financial Aid Office. In order to qualify, a student must complete entrance counseling and the Loan Agreement form to be considered for a student loan. The application process is online and can be accessed through the Financial Aid Office website. Students must be taking at least 6 hours to qualify for loans.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is awarded to qualified undergraduate applicants with exceptional need. Priority is given to Pell Grant recipients with the greatest need.

Texas Public Educational Grant (TPEG)

The TPEG is a campus-based grant. Priority is given to full-time students with the greatest remaining need.

Texas Educational Opportunity Grant

This grant provides money to help well-prepared eligible students attend public educational institutions in the State of Texas. Individuals with a GED Certificate and home-schooled students can qualify for assistance through this grant. To qualify to receive this award students must be Texas residents; enroll at least half time (6 semester credit hours) in the first 30 hours of a certificate or associate degree plan at a two-year institution; qualify for a Pell Grant; not be convicted of a felony or crime involving a controlled substance; and for male students, must register for Selective Service.

Due to the limited amount of funds available in the FSEOG, TPEG, and TEOG programs each year, funding for students enrolling less than full-time may be limited.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The FWS is a federally funded program in which a student works approximately 10 hours per week at minimum wage on campus or in the community service program. Job assignments are made on the basis of available funds, departmental needs, student interest skills, and the student’s course of study. Interested students should contact the Payroll Office.

Hazlewood Act

Veterans who are currently residents of Texas and were residents of Texas at the time they entered the armed forces, may be eligible for benefits under the Hazlewood Act. This act exempts the eligible student from the payment of tuition and fees other than property deposit fees and student services fees. Beginning with the Fall 1995 semester, benefits are limited to 150 semester credit hours.

First-time applicant

  • Applications are available at http://www.tvc.texas.gov.
  • Provide a certified copy of the DD-214 that shows Texas residency status when you entered the military services and received an honorable discharge or were discharged under honorable circumstances.
  • Provide written verification of ineligibility for VA educational benefits.
  • Complete the “Application for Hazlewood Act Benefit” form.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Returning applicant (every semester)

  • Contact the Financial Aid Office.
  • Complete a new “Application for Hazlewood Benefits” form http://www.tvc.texas.gov.
  • Complete the FAFSA for each new school year.

Required forms must be presented to the Financial Aid Office PRIOR to registration each semester.

Transferability of Benefits (Legacy Program)

Senate Bill 297 authorized a new exemption from the payment of tuition (fees not included) for a child, or stepchild, of a member of the Armed Forces who is deployed to active duty in a combat zone outside the United States. To learn more about this program, please click here.

Return to Title IV Refund Policy (R2T4)

This policy applies only to eligible U.S. and eligible non-U.S. citizens receiving Title IV funds.

Title IV funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that he/she will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws from all courses, for any reason including medical withdrawals, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds originally scheduled to receive. If the student withdraws from all courses prior to completing over 60% of a semester, a R2T4 is required to repay a portion of the federal financial aid received for that term. A pro rata schedule is used to determine the amount of federal student aid funds earned at the time of the withdrawal. Federal aid includes Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, and Direct Student Loans. The return of funds is based upon the concept that students earn their financial aid in proportion to the amount of time in which they are enrolled. Under this reasoning, a student who withdraws in the second week of classes has earned less than a student who withdraws in the seventh week. Once 60% of the semester is completed, a student is considered to have earned all their financial aid and will not be required to return any funds.

A student’s withdrawal date is:

  • The date officially withdrawn with the Admissions/Records Office during the Registrar’s withdrawal period. (The student must contact the Admissions/Records Office directly.)
  • The date the student submitted his petition to withdraw to the Admissions/Records Office, if the Admissions/Records Office withdrawal period has ended and the student successfully petitioned to withdraw.
  • The date the student was expelled/dismissed from the College.
  • The date of death, if the student passed away during the semester.

The Financial Aid Office (FAO) determines the Return to Title IV funds percentage. Institutions are required to determine the percentage of Title IV aid ”earned” by the student and to return the unearned portion to the appropriate aid program. Regulations require schools to perform calculations within 30 days from the date the school determines a student’s withdrawal complete. The school must return the funds within 45 days of the calculation.

The Return to Title IV funds policy follows these steps:

Step 1: Student’s Title IV Information

The FAO will determine:

  • The total amount of Title IV aid disbursed (not aid that could have been disbursed) for the semester in which the student withdrew. A student’s Title IV aid is counted as aid disbursed in the calculation if it has been applied to the student’s account on or before the date the student withdrew.
  • The total amount of Title IV aid disbursed plus the Title IV aid that could have been disbursed for the semester in which the student withdrew.

Step 2: Percentage of Title IV Aid Earned:

The FAO will calculate the percentage of Title IV aid earned as follows:

  • The number of calendar days completed by the student divided by the total number of calendar days in the semester in which the student withdrew.
  • The total number of calendar days in a semester shall exclude any scheduled breaks of more than five days.

    Days Attended ÷ Days in Enrollment Period = Percentage Completed

    If the calculated percentage exceeds 60%, then the student has “earned” all the Title IV aid for the enrollment period.

Step 3: Amount of Title IV Earned by the Student:

The FAO will calculate the amount of Title IV earned as follows:

  • The percentage of Title IV aid earned (Step 2) multiplied by the total amount of Title IV aid disbursed or that could have been disbursed for the term in which the student withdrew.

    Total Aid Disbursed x Percentage Completed = Earned Aid

Step 4: Amount of Title IV Aid to be Disbursed or Returned:

  • If the aid already disbursed equals the earned aid, then no further action is required.
  • If the aid already disbursed is greater than the earned aid, the difference must be returned to the appropriate Title IV aid program.

    Total Disbursed Aid - Earned Aid = Unearned Aid to be Returned

    If the aid already disbursed is less than the earned aid, the FAO will calculate a Post-Withdrawal disbursement.

Return of the Title IV Aid, based on the type of aid disbursed, in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Direct Loans
  2. Subsidized Direct Loans
  3. Pell Grant

Institutional and student responsibility in regard to the Federal Return to Title IV Funds policy:

The FAO’s responsibilities in regard to the Return to Title IV funds policy include:

  • Providing each student with the information given in this policy;
  • Identifying students affected by this policy and completing the Return to Title IV Funds calculation;
  • Informing the student of the result of the Return to Title IV Funds calculation and any balance owed to the College as a result of a required return of funds;
  • Returning any unearned Title IV aid that is due to the Title IV programs;
  • Notifying student of eligibility for a Post-Withdraw Disbursement, if applicable.

The student’s responsibilities in regard to the Return to Title IV Funds policy include:

  • Becoming familiar with the Return to Title IV Funds policy and how withdrawing from all courses effects eligibility for Title IV aid;
  • Resolving any outstanding balance owed resulting from a required return of unearned Title IV aid.

Veterans Administration Benefits

Panola College is fully approved for training of veterans under the provision of the GI Bill® (Public Laws 346, 550, 16 and 890-358), Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® and other Education Benefit Programs. Veterans and dependents of veterans should apply to the veterans’ affairs office (Student Success Center) six weeks prior to registration. The veteran must submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), military transcripts, all official college transcripts, and their DD-214 (Member 4 copy). Photocopies of dependency documents (marriage and/or birth certificates) will be accepted, if applicable, to establish the veteran’s dependents. A veteran entitled to benefits under these laws will receive a monthly check varying in amount depending on credit hour load from the VA. A child of a veteran may receive benefits in the same way under certain conditions. Any student enrolling under the above provisions should bring with him/her sufficient funds to defray initial costs of tuition, fees, books, personal expenses, etc., since there is usually a period from six to eight weeks before the veteran or other eligible person receives his or her initial payment from the Veterans Administration. A program of study must be selected. The VA will only pay for courses required in that selected program. The courses in which a veteran enrolls must count toward attainment of the specific degree or certificate objective. Courses taken at other institutions may satisfy Panola College’s requirements in a selected program of study. Accepted courses for credit may not be repeated for VA pay. Veterans must make satisfactory progress. Veterans who are receiving monthly payments for their entitlement based on their enrollment at Panola College must abide by Panola College’s academic probation and suspension policy. The Veterans Administration will be notified of unsatisfactory progress the semester a student is placed on scholastic suspension. Veterans should contact the VA Certifying Official for additional information. Benefits may be interrupted by poor attendance. Changes in enrollment status may result in partial repayment to the VA by the student. Complete withdrawal from classes may require repayment for the entire enrollment period.

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). 
More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/index.asp